I wanted to know how to write Hello in a few different languages. The following websites were the most helpful to me with translating a greeting…(all links open in a new window, so don’t worry about losing your place here!)
- Omiglot – http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/hello.htm – On this page we find that “There isn’t an equivalent for this word in all languages, but many have something similar. In some languages, different words for hello are used when answering the phone.”
- Here is a list of 153 languages and counting! http://www.freelang.net/expressions/hello.php
- Jennifer’s language page – http://users.elite.net/runner/jennifers/hello1.htm – gives greetings in an almost-unbelievable 2800 languages! Wow!
- And this is neat too…saying Hello in sign language! http://www.ipl.org/div/hello/signlanguage.html
- Finally, http://www.athropolis.com/hello2.htm – from “the world beneath the colored night sky”